Aging is a journey everyone will face (if they’re lucky!), yet society has so many indications that it’s something to avoid looking at, or even to dread.
Well, screw that.
Here’s a list of just some of my favorite quotes about aging, from people who know what’s up.
- “The longer I live the more beautiful life becomes.” ~ Frank Lloyd Wright
- “Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears. ~John Lennon
- “You don’t stop laughing when you grow old, you grow old when you stop laughing.” ~George Bernard Shaw
- “Oh, the worst of all tragedies is not to die young, but to live until I am seventy-five and yet not ever truly to have lived.” ~ Martin Luther King Jr.
- “Anyone who keeps the ability to see beauty never grows old.” ~Franz Kafka
- “Getting old is like climbing a mountain; you get a little out of breath, but the view is much better!” ~Ingrid Bergman
What’s your favorite quote about aging – either your ow or from someone you admire. Let us know in the comments!
Randall is Senior Planet’s Managing Editor. She is also a freelance culture reporter who seeks out hidden gems and unsung (or undersung) treasures for Straus Newspapers; her blog “Don’t Get Me Started” puts a quirky new spin on Old School New York City. Send your suggestions for Open Threads to her at firstname.lastname@example.org.